Tuesday, September 12, 2006

WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING?

13.09.04

Another week begins under the best circumstances. A lot of work (for my dissertation, I mean; not for any other reason). We have an employee with hearing problems at the enterprise. She can’t hear absolutely anything and when she decides to talk she just screams. Those who know her well can understand her. Those who don’t have to try very hard; in fact, so hard, that most of the times they just prefer to lift their arm for a hasty gesture (a greeting one, of course) and nothing more.

Today I laughed hard. I saw her get in the director’s office (she doesn’t come often, since she works for another authority). She was trying to talk to her for long and the director was screaming so loud as if the other one would stop being deaf, as if the problem was the volume of her voice. I enjoyed that scene wholeheartedly. I remembered some times when people yelled at me as if I was deaf, let alone being possibly mentally retarded: ‘HOW ARE YOU DOING, LITTLE NICHOLAS? ARE YOU ALL RIGHT?’. ‘I’m all right, damnit, but I’m not deaf. I just can’t walk like you!)

No comments: