Friday, September 15, 2006

FOR ‘MY’ PEOPLE

24.11.04


I was waiting too for the Teddy Bear to swear at me (as he had promised in his blog that he would do). I opened my window and then started reading. Was that all the swearing? How great it would be for everyone to swear at me like that. Without understanding it, it seems I’ve started something greater than what I think. I read the messages posted by Thodoris, Michalis and Katerina and said: ‘All right, there are some people who make my life more difficult but there are some others who try to walk in my shoes and understand me. It’s for them, then, that I will be writing and exposing myself whenever I need to tell the truth for as long as I can.’

What I want to describe today is how happy I was yesterday. I went to see my older brother (not that I have a younger one; I’m just giving hints regarding his age!). I’m very happy each time that all of us meet, even if we are bored. There is an explanation for that. I haven’t lived with my brother as much as I would like to. I need something more; one more picture and one more word to hold and remember. I am ashamed of saying so but when people ask me if I have any siblings, I say: ‘I have a sister’; and a few seconds later, I add: ‘and a brother’. There is an explanation for that as well but I don’t disclose that.

What I do want to disclose is a conclusion to which I came a few years ago: Nobody loves you as much as your family does. No doubt that this can be uncertain; but I can’t understand brothers and sisters who argue to death and parents who don’t care about their children. I might be mad at parents’ behaviour but I recognize their effort to be right beside us. The same thing happens with brothers and sisters. They might beat you black and blue, take your favourite things or not always have time for you but they care about you like nobody else. I don’t know if I sound traditional or if I just had the luck to grow up in a happy family. No matter what, I feel great every time I know that wherever I am going there are always somewhere some people to whom I can always turn and return.They are not just ‘my’ people. They are points of reference in my personal history.