Wednesday, September 13, 2006

HERE IS WHAT ONE LEARNS FROM A BISCUIT

24.09.04

Last night’s uttering doesn’t deal so much with what my readers expect from me. We have solved that issue and it would be silly to talk about it all the time. Nonetheless, on the grounds of some comments I remember behavioural patterns against which I have come up from time to time. I am not speaking of unknown people but of friends. This is not just a complaint. It is a discovery. Friends accept you but they try to change you, create you again and set you to their standards at the same time. Some time they do it consciously and some times not. I am sure I have tried to do this as well with some people, and first of all with my parents, wanting to force them to understand me, or with my friends, wanting to have them always close to me when I am doing great and demanding from them to feel equally moved as I am every time that I discover a great song or a great book, or even when I try to teach them not to renounce luxury or money.

Once I took them all to the bar ‘Galaxy’ of the ‘Hilton’ hotel. I wanted to show them how beautiful Athens is from up there. Kostas was the only one who agreed with me. All the others started complaining: ‘Why on earth did you bring us here? To pay so much for just one drink? There’s nothing to eat or what?’. We were unlucky, of course. We didn’t manage to sit on the terrace because of the crowd. We sat indoors on the couches and I confess that I didn’t like that either. Other than that, I enjoyed it as much as I could. I’m no wealthy man. I just dig luxuries and if I have to spend 20 Euros on souvlakia, drinks and ice cream at the corner shop next to my house, I’d rather spend that money for a decent mojito and admire the stunning view. Most people don’t agree with me. What am I to do? Fall down? Of course not. I’ll go to the kiosk (yes, I buy stuff from the kiosk as well, if there’s nothing better around), I’ll buy a bitter chocolate and I will eat the whole of it alone, since most people find dark chocolates unbelievably bitter. To be honest here, even my teddy bear’s biscuits seem fine to me (they are the ‘Rollers’, if I’m not wrong). All right, I should admit it, I’d rather have them filled with chocolate. If it’s bitter, so much the better.

No comments: