Thursday, September 07, 2006

WHERE IS THE BALL?

02.07.04


There is a branch of the Emporiki (Commercial) Bank under our offices. About half a year ago, some guy arrived on his motorcycle. He got in the bank still wearing his helmet and told everybody that this was a robbery. Afterwards, he got the money and left like a gentleman. I didn’t find out if they finally managed to arrest him.
Since then, the bank is protected by young guards, who walk on the pavement in front of the main entrance. They carry a weapon on their belt and a club but they don’t seem wild at all. They’re all rather plumpy and have the sight of oxes. God knows how bored they are. Probably that’s the reason why they are always overjoyed with every passer-by they see; and they smile at him/her. For the same reason, they always welcome me as if I’m one of their friends or one of ‘theirs’ every time I’m ready to park my Yaris. You can’t even begin to think how they open up to me those so-called ‘hard’ guys. We’ve even exchanged phone numbers.

I was getting ready today to get in the garage when I saw a new guard from my window approaching my car: ‘Let it be, man, and wait till you see what I’ve got to tell you. I just lost my card, my salary and my identity card. How can I make it now, can you tell me?’. And so I reply: ‘Get ready for a robbery!’. The guy lost it: ‘Hey, not like that! What are you talking about! I shouldn’t be so open with you!’ was his remark.

What’s up with some people and they have no sense of humour at all – can you explain this to me? Can you imagine what is going to happen if the bank is robbed again? They’ll all turn and say: ‘This disabled guy is to blame! He was speaking of robberies a few days ago and he is not even disabled. He is just a liar!’. There are going to be roars of laughter!

No comments: