Wednesday, September 13, 2006

THE FALL

04.10.04


Coming back from the cinema, we ended up in Gazi (an area around central Athens). We crossed the pavement in front of the Technopolis (City of Art: it is a whole area where festivities, events and concerts etc. are organized). It is a narrow pavement with columns stuck at different points of it. My wheelchair was just fitting the paveted street and my falling apart was actually expected. I almost waited for it. I wasn’t taken by surprise when my wheelchair was turned to the sides and threw me on the street.

I ended up lying at the end of the street. Cars and motorcycles were passing right in front of me at extreme speed while I was still lying on the asphalt. A driver stopped to lift me up. Everything happened so fast; I didn’t quite understand if I was actually in danger and in what danger. I had no time to start swearing or accuse anybody of anything. I did that later. I first took care to bring Konstantina around, who was somehow shocked. Those who are familiar with the idea of the fall are not many.

Let’s face it. When you are on wheels, a lot of things can happen to you but it’s equally possible that absolutely nothing happens. I was lucky this time. I even enjoyed it. Life is exciting even when you fall. You look next to you and you see your face reflected on the rims of the cars. You become some sort of reptile. Anybody can walk on you or even spit in your face. You look like a paper bag or a run over cat, if you are seen from a distance. The lights of the cars point at your head, making the road sparkle. You take a last look on everything and then you are up. You wipe the dust from your clothes and you thank God you are still alive. I was lifted up because someone helped me. I wonder: would someone make it on one’s own if there was nobody there? But of course. Our city is much friendlier now to us. How dared I forget that?

No comments: