Thursday, September 07, 2006

AND MY LIFE IS YOURS

13.07.04


I left the door slightly open so as to welcome the light of the day. Electricity was cut five minutes ago and I couldn’t find anything in the dark. Ten minutes later, we were told that we could leave earlier, since the computers were not operating and we had no reason to remain in the offices.

I called my mother as quickly as possible to ask her to come and fetch me from the stairs so as not to have to ask for the help of my colleagues again. She didn’t make it on time. When she arrived, I was already down. I could have felt really badly if I thought that I had put everyone in trouble. As a matter of fact, I was happy that we had achieved truce on the pretext of that incident. I told them: ‘You go and I will wait for my mother to come and get me’. They were like ‘Don’t even think about it’. All right, this is not so emotional but the important thing is that in a difficult situation like this my colleagues did not leave me alone. I would take this for granted in older times. I am thinking differently today.

You are absolutely right when you remind me that nobody is obliged to undergo the consequences of our problems, no matter what they are. And yet I am now certain that it’s not enough to stand next to someone in order to be (or to be considered) his or her fellow citizen. What you offer to the others –if possible without expecting anything in return- is what will make you a real human being. If you have no ideals to defend, if you don’t intend to give something from yourself to the others, you are just an intelligent (?) animal on the top of their kingdom, in my humble opinion. We don’t examine the incentives of the offer. You might offer something in order to be praised to the skies or to gain recognition from people, but this doesn’t bother us. The important thing is that you decide to see beyond the end of your nose.

No comments: