Friday, September 15, 2006

1+1=25 (that’s my age as well)

09.11.04


A while ago, they asked me at the office to make some calculations so as to record the revenue of the Municipality from the assignment of works. I did this without providing any objection of course, since it was not something difficult (I used a calculator, naturally), but I was still (and I still am) cautious regarding the reliability of the result. When I have numbers in front of me, I run in panic. This is definitely part of my childhood memoirs. I was scared of mathematics and I realized how important this science is only when I decided to be deal with me. Everything is mathematics, my friends. Even what I’m writing here for you. If you don’t make any sense from what I say, this happens because I’m hopeless at arithmetic. I can’t understand the sequence of operations and adopt a specific logic. And yet I love mathematics (in the end), as much as I love a lot of things of which I happen to be afraid. Don’t ask me how I do that. I can’t –and I don’t want to- explain that. It’s enough that it happens. I imagine myself engrossed in the algebra books one day, trying to solve exercizes with integrals and swearing at every direction, regretting that I spent my years studying the writings of ancient thinkers. I know: I will have no reason to regret. They are mathematics too.

No comments: